PDA

View Full Version : New State/Province Maps

adam
01-13-2004, 11:08 AM
In addition to the "Map of Photographed Countries" available from each member's 'Intro' page, it is now possible to view maps of photographed states/provinces/regions within countries. Currently a France map is available thanks to information provided by Viviane (<a href="/members/Porteplume/">Porteplume</a>); state/province/region maps from different countries will be coming eventually as well.

To see this feature in action, check out <a href="/map.php?ctr=France&member=Porteplume">Viviane's personalized France map</a> highlighting the different regions her photos were taken. A [view map] link will be displayed in each member's 'Intro' page next to every country in which one is available.

Note that photos taken in overseas areas such as Guadeloupe or Martinique etc. will not be highlighted.

If anyone encounters problems or has suggestions on how this feature may be improved, please let me know. Thanks!

gaijin
01-13-2004, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the new feature !
Would'nt it be nice if this state/map was clickable ?

adam
01-13-2004, 11:45 AM
"Would'nt it be nice if this state/map was clickable ?"

Yes, but technically I'm not sure how to automate this. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know here or via email, thanks.

It would be possible to display a number on each region to indicate which region it is but this would be awkward for countries containing provinces located very near each other as the numbers would intersect. If I can find a way around that I could add that in easily.

kazan
01-13-2004, 12:32 PM
Adam, I can send you a Greek map with provinces and "alt" descriptions for people to see the province.
Also, I can make it "mapped 'n' clickable" if you want too, if you could provide me the site tree.

Panos

Clochette
01-13-2004, 01:09 PM
Good feature, I appreciate it. Thank you for keeping on improving with new ideas Adam !

Porteplume
01-13-2004, 04:59 PM
Hello Adam,

I'm not technical at all, but I have seen that when I "go with the mouse" over a picture, I can see a little square appearing with the name of picture + type of camera. Couldn't be possible to have that option giving the names on the different regions of the new State/Province Maps?

Amicalement - Viviane

timmiles
01-13-2004, 05:14 PM
like it - will look forward to seeing the feautre extended

Guto
01-13-2004, 07:41 PM
Great feature, Adam! I always wonder where exactly some pictures were taken.

What do you need to add more maps? Just a image of a divided map and the names of the states are enough?

Guto

Guto
01-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Just in case, I found some useful links:

Here, a good clean image:

http://www.riogrande.com.br/Clipart/mapasbr/BRASIL4.BMP

And here:

http://www.guianet.com.br/guiacidades/

...you see the names of regions (by colors) and the states (in capital letters).

Is it enough?

Guto

adam
01-13-2004, 08:09 PM
I need to review any licensing issues. Also, minimum 500 pixel length would be good. Thanks for the pointers.

adam
01-13-2004, 08:14 PM
Please send me the map and I'll try to add it in. Thanks. About alt tags, I'm looking to generate it automatically based on a minimum number of coordinates.

adam
01-13-2004, 08:16 PM
It's different for a map because I need a large number of coordinates to create the proper outline for the map. If I can figure a way to do this elegantly I will add it in.

Rockyboy
01-14-2004, 01:56 AM
I guess the map is refresh only once a day? I just posted a picture from a region of France and it doesn't appear.
Otherwise, it is a great feature and if you want, I can send you a map of Belgium. Even if my country is small, I think it would be interesting to see at least our 3 regions which are Flanders (dutch speaking), Wallonia (French speaking) and Brussels (both languages).

adam
01-14-2004, 12:27 PM
"I guess the map is refresh only once a day?"

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention that. It's done so as not to slow down the system. I will need to re-work the page a bit to take that into account, thanks for letting me know.

Yes, please send me the Belgium outline map with provinces listed. I will add it in eventually. Thanks.

nwoehnl
01-14-2004, 04:11 PM
Adam, I'll go in search of province/state maps for Austria and Germany over the weekend, and let you know as soon as I find some.

AdrianW
01-14-2004, 06:51 PM
Interesting feature! I presume you're after a UK map? Did you want something that just goes to England/Ireland/Scotland/Wales, or something with all the counties listed?

Exact specs of what you'd like would be useful ;-)

adam
01-14-2004, 07:52 PM
Great, thanks!

adam
01-14-2004, 07:59 PM
"I presume you're after a UK map?"

Yes, over 500 pixels if possible.

"Did you want something that just goes to England/Ireland/Scotland/Wales, or something with all the counties listed?"

For consistency, I'd like it to contain the "states" listed on TE. A UK map would be particularly time-consuming to make as I believe there are well over 100 different boroughs, counties, cities, districts etc.

If you do know of something, please let me know, thanks!

AdrianW
01-15-2004, 04:45 AM
Haven't found any freely distributable UK county maps yet, but this site has a lot of US/Canada etc maps:
<a href="http://pics.tech4learning.com/?search=cat&query=Maps" target="_blank">pics.tech4learning.com</a>

adam
01-16-2004, 10:09 AM
Great, thanks. Anyway, a Brazil map is now available.

Guto
01-16-2004, 05:38 PM
<i>Great, thanks. Anyway, a Brazil map is now available.</i>

Good work, Adam, as always.

But I notice something strange, both in Brazilian and French maps. The number of pictures is different from the "intro" page. For instance, look at my "Distrito Federal" pictures. It says "3" but when you click the link you see only 2. One of then was reposted...

Is it counting the reposted pictures twice?

adam
01-17-2004, 10:49 AM
"Is it counting the reposted pictures twice?"

Yes, that was the problem. It's now fixed, thanks for letting me know!

adam
01-17-2004, 08:01 PM
Belgium has been added, thanks.

Rockyboy
01-17-2004, 08:33 PM
That perfect Adam! Thank you!

Just another think I remarked. It is a bad translation of the city of Brussels in French. That not "Anderlecht" but "Bruxelles".

adam
01-19-2004, 09:17 AM
In addition, these maps are now generated site-wide as well, highlighting all photographed states/provinces for all members. To view these site-wide maps, check out the new 'Maps' column on the <a href="/stats.php">Statistics</a> page.

adam
01-21-2004, 10:33 AM
Greece has been added thanks to the efforts of Adrian.

Gatis
02-23-2004, 08:02 PM
Adam I can post Latvian map of regions (in vector format if you prefer, including also rivers, names of the cities etc.) as well as HTML code to make it clicable by the districts.
Just inform me how I can help you with this :) What format is preferred and would be the HTML code needed?

adam
02-23-2004, 08:15 PM
A clickable map will not be possible to use currently. But if you still wish to send a map:

1. Max width = 450 pixels
2. 1 layer containing original map with state/province names (and optionally cities).
3. 1 layer containing black 1-2 pixel width border (internal and external).

Thanks.

pchappuis
02-24-2004, 08:06 PM
Super! mais est-il en projet de faire des cartes détaillées de tous les pays?

Super! but is it in project to make detailed maps of all the countries?

AdrianW
02-24-2004, 09:33 PM
I believe Adam's plan is for all countries to be covered, yes. It helps if you provide him with maps though, and they must be suitably licensed.

I've so far provided maps for: Australia, Canada, Denmark, Greece, India, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, and the US :-)

Requirements are:
Check with Adam that your original map complies with the relevant copyright requirements for TE before you start.
Maps must be 450px wide.
Lines should be 1px (or 2px) wide, black on a transparent layer over the top of the original map.
Files should be in Photoshop .PSD format.

adam
02-25-2004, 11:23 AM
"I've so far provided maps for: Australia, Canada, Denmark, Greece, India, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, and the US :-)"

Thanks Adrian, and thanks to Mattias for providing Sweden and recently Malta. And thanks to everyone else as mentioned before.

adam
02-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Thanks for sending me the Switzerland map, Adrian!

sulucas
03-13-2004, 05:06 PM
What a wonderful idea!
I have a map of South Africa. Pardon my ignorance, but where do I send it?
It only has the Provinces, but I could add some of the major cities, if you wish.

adam
03-14-2004, 11:52 AM
Thanks for your map, I'll try to add it in soon.

sulucas
03-16-2004, 08:08 AM
Thanx for adding the South African map, Adam. It looks great! The areas that are still blank on my map is now acting as inspiration to me, to go there and get some photographs....

genericnic
03-11-2005, 08:37 AM
Hi again Adam.

Since you were kind enough to add Saipan under the US on the TN site for me, I thought I'd ask if you could make a minor change under the Oceana section on TE. You have Micronesia listed there, however, Micronesia is a much broader geographic term that covers many places other than those you have listed. It could includ such places as Palau, Saipan, and Guam. The four areas you have listed as Micronesia are actually the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM). It is a small thing to use but having lived in Micronesia (Saipan) for a few years, it is a big thing to them. They are proud people.

Thanks

David

elena
03-12-2005, 08:28 AM
hi adam i went to visit that link and was surprised to find that the map is not intersactive, i tried clicking one of the regions to see photos from that region, and the map wouldn't respond,
it would be nice if i could access the potos either clicking the name of the region or the region on the map...
thanks, elena

Tracker
04-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Hi Adam,
I'm interested: do you still make any new countrymaps and if yes what country will be next? Are you planning to create Russia map? There is the great link to observe the border of all of our regions: <a href="http://xtalk.msk.su/rusmap.php">http://xtalk.msk.su/rusmap.php</a>. I hope it will be useful. Regarding Russia map: if you need the reagion names please let me know, I'll provide that.
Best regards,
Denis

abulafia
08-04-2006, 01:51 PM
Hi Adam
I am not really sure what it is you need. But on this link: http://www.athailand.com/cgi-bin/AthMfShow/Show03a.pl?P=p&M=Thailand
There is a really nice Thailand map with clickable regions, first it is divided in 4 areas, but when you click them, you will find more regions under it.
Hope it can be useful
Harry