PDA

View Full Version : About actions (scripts)

ninadev
11-22-2004, 07:51 PM
I have just made an "action" (called scripts in french) on my computer at home and I would like to have the same at work. Does anybody know where it would be filed so that I can copy it on a CD and bring it at work or even share it with friends ? I did find the default action file but not the file for my own action.

Mike
11-22-2004, 08:08 PM
Hi Nina,

If you want to transfer your action to another pc you have to save it as an .atn file, it's easy to do, the easiest way is to 'undock' the actions menu so that it is free floating on the Photoshop screen, to do this grab hold of the tab with the left mouse button and pull it away from the menu bar, you'll then notice a small icon at the very top right of the window, it's a little round button with a triangle in it.

Click this button and look for 'save actions', select it snd a dialogue box will open, choose where to save it to and the job is done!

You'll find that all the tabs can be pulled off the menu bar and once you do this there are lots of hidden features that can be accessed this way.

ninadev
11-23-2004, 03:05 PM
Thanks Mike ! it works fine, I should have looked better or used the Help feature of PS - don't often think of using it.
Strange how I had already answered your reply but when Adam moved the thread to the Technique forum it disapeared, or maybe it didn't reach TE when I posted it.

Mike
11-23-2004, 05:20 PM
Hi Nina, a pleasure.

Actually, the help section of Photoshop probably wouldn't have helped you, I checked it after posting to see what it has to say, and...not a lot really! it just suggests this:

Actions are automatically saved to the Actions Palette folder in the Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Settings folder. If this file is lost or removed, the actions you created are lost. You can save your actions to a separate actions file so that you can recover them if necessary. You can also load a variety of action sets that are shipped with Photoshop.

Note: The default location of the Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Settings folder varies by operating system. Use your operating system's Find command to locate this folder.

No mention of saving them from the actions screen at all, nor of undocking it to access them, I've noticed this before with Photoshop, ten out of ten for the program, nought out of ten for how to use it! :)

efimoore
12-03-2004, 09:49 PM
You can find a good Actions tutorial in the following link
http://www.atncentral.com/installing.htm

Probebly you can find there any action related anwer that you have and much more.

Mike
12-04-2004, 12:41 AM
That's an excellent tutorial Efi, I've just downloaded it, there's enough there to make up for Photoshop's very sparse help section, well worth looking at if actions are a new concept to Photoshop users, good find!

ninadev
12-04-2004, 12:55 AM
Thanks Efi for this site ... sure looks good to me... very thorough tutorial. Now I have to find time to go through it, but it's sure looks like worth it.