PDA

View Full Version : That feeling.....

Just-A-Guy
10-01-2007, 06:32 AM
You are ready to post a new photo. You already selected the chosen one, reduced its size and made some adjustment with Photoshop. You are just one click away from submitting to TE. You look at it again just to make sure. It seems perfect. No doubt, you're a genius, you should have quit your 9 to 5 job behind the desk to become a National Geopraphic photographer. Your friends in the office told you so. You just have the IT factor. One look at any of your photos proves it. The sharpness, original POV, composition- everything is in place. The light is just right, the colors are balanced. There is even a flare of artistic creativity that makes it stand out from the crowd. Even the note is concise yet informative. TE members MUST love it, there is no other way. This time- you're gonna make it. You finally hit the Submit button. You make sure your photo is there, in the Gallery page- on the upper left corner. Feeling satisfied you walk to the kitchen and fix yourself a cup of coffee. 10 minutes pass. You look at the computer screen and hit the Refresh button. Your photo is in the third row, in the middle, still in the Gallery front page. You enlarge it just to see that it has been viewed 8 times and no points were given YET. Oh well, you told yourself this is NOT a good time for posting. It is still too early in the morning in Europe, and it is after midnight in North America. You decide to wait longer. To come back after an hour.

An hour elapsed. You refresh the gallery page. Your photo is not to be seen. You press Next on the bottom of the screen. Your photo is not in the second page either. You finally find it hidden in the third page, second row. You see no points under it. Well, maybe there are 3 or 4 critiques already and the system is slow to update... again, you click the thumbnail, enlarge it, only to see that your photographic masterpiece has been viewed 19 times, and yes you guessed it- no critiques, no points.
Just another day on TE.

siolaw
10-01-2007, 06:40 AM
LOL!!!!!!!!
I guess many of us had, still have or, if not, WILL have that feeling!!!
Just don't worry, you're not alone!! ;D
Laurent

thea0211
10-01-2007, 06:58 AM
the more i surf, the more i see and learn - there are (also) things and people i like on TE (besides some of the photos and besides 'learning about the world through photography') - and make me 'tick' ... like YOUR post here - brings smiles to my face ... because somewhere in another corner of the world there is someone who sometimes has similar feelings ... ain't this one a beautiful world?

good morning to you too, guy and thanks

dora :)

Davids
10-01-2007, 07:02 AM
Guy,
try holding the [Control] key after posting.

stiginthedump
10-01-2007, 07:50 AM
or you could 'pull a francis' and delete it or do what do (tantrum throwing)

AROBN54
10-01-2007, 04:29 PM
(laughing)
You know what's about as bad?? You post a picture just for kicks, KNOWING it is crap and 350 people look at it when one you think is a masterpiece just falls further and further into the void. Go figure.

kinginexile
10-01-2007, 04:39 PM
You still can work for NG though. As an editor! just sack the photographers, and employ the TE members who have not felt what you described since their second week on TE, when their pix became so smyleyed, thanks to exponential and sudden improvement, that 40 pts would mean rejection. :-)

kinginexile
10-01-2007, 05:53 PM
masterpiece? I think it would be a great thread. For people to submit to other's approval the pix where they thought they outdid themselves, or find real photographic excellence in it. Just not asking for critiques on the forum, just be open to someone in front of their screen thinking either "how did i miss that?", or, maybe more accurately "what the hell is she/he smoking?". :-)))

bazal
10-01-2007, 09:03 PM
It's about time to go to work but you've got a picture you know is far to be perfect. The light is a bit harsh and you did what you could to correct a slightly unbalanced composition. Nevertheless, you think the subject is interesting and you did your best to describe it with a note you wrote in your own language and in English, even if it is a bit difficult for you because it's not your native language.
It is clearly very early in Europe and also too late on the American Continent to attract a lot of people, but after 15 minutes, your composition have got 1 comment and a friendly green smile because you did not forget that the first goal of this site was to share your POV on the world through your photographs.
You feel happy because you didn't know this person that has spent a bit of his (her) time to let you these nice words and it's not a big issue if they won't allow you to improve you skills and become the new Cartier-Bresson. It's just a first smile at the beginning of your day.
Then you come back on TE 10 hours later and you have 10 messages, most of them from people you already know because you use to share your comments with them. Some are just here to exchange a few friendly words and some others even give you some insights on how you could have managed your shot in a better way. You take a bit of time to answer them, go to their gallery and comment one (or more) of their shot.
You really enjoy this special moment of your day even if you know that this behaviour is condamned by a lot of other TE'ers who will point you as a member of a "clique", saying that you're on TE just for the points and the green smileys whereas the real POINT is that you only care about communicating with friends who share the same hobby as you.
You go to the forum to see what's going on and you see that there's a 1000th thread about the point system and how it should be changed, and about what must be considered as a good critique and what must not, and about why this fantastic shot has so little recognition whereas this b.llsh.t one gets tenths of points. You're just about to answer and expose your point of view, but at the end you just shut off the forum page, go back to the gallery, comment on some of your old TE fellows and also on photographs from unknowns you've found among the general posts.
At the end you've learn a bit about photography, a bit about the world, and you had a good time. And you return to the real life just a tiny little bit more happy than you were before, so that was not a bad idea, finally to post your very unperfect contribution...

kinginexile
10-02-2007, 04:32 AM
There is much self-ingratiating at being active not only on TE but on tne net, be it returning to one's dedicated smyleying friends, or posting a 1000th thread on points. Yet, Would you feel less happy to communicate with people whom you know less, but post their pix with the same enthusiasm at sharing as you have, though maybe lacking the studious repetitiousness of ping-ponging smyleys with their friends?

bazal
10-02-2007, 06:47 AM
Salut, Hervé.

We have already discussed about that a long time ago, and I'm not completely surprised by your answer...

"Would you feel less happy to communicate with people whom you know less, but post their pix with the same enthusiasm at sharing as you have, though maybe lacking the studious repetitiousness of ping-ponging smyleys with their friends?"

No I wouldn't. And that's why I visit these "new" people as soon as I appreciate their pictures. I thought it was clear from what I wrote, but maybe my english betrayed me...

About ping-ponging smileys, I think you've totally missed the point (and now it's not because of my English). Most of the people who act this way on TE don't care about points: they usually have several thousands of points or even more and I'm sure they would be ok to give all of them to you if this would just make you happy... Did you ever think about exchanging a few words as a positive thing?

Cordialement/with kind regards.

LB.

Dpbours
10-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Gosh, what a tacky way to collect points hahaha ;-)
But okay I'll have a look hahahaha

Dennis

kinginexile
10-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Did you ever think about exchanging a few words as a positive thing?
--------------------------------------------------

positive for you, and the exchangee, but indifferent to the rest of TE. Not bad, not great, my point is that people do that all over participatory sites on the internet.

You are very wrong about the points. The flaw of your statement is that people could easily use the comment button, now tell me if that would be diminish your good feeling if they did that? Be sincere.

If Adam took points off, you'd find out how much people who don't care actually care a lot about points, and much less about being wished a nice day.

jrj
10-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Have points become a brain disease for you Herve.

Who the heck appointed you as a spokesman about points...

This whole site is point fixtated mostly because you and some selfappointed 'truth seekers' see 'point ghosts' in broad daylight and whine about points all the time.. ping ponging this forum desperately with your low level arguments.

If you don't like the site:
- just leave: You are boring...

(with your average of 36 points pr. photo - you think you got them for your superior photograph talent or by also writing 3.000 critics... for a big part to your 'friends'....)

bazal
10-02-2007, 04:46 PM
"positive for you, and the exchangee, but indifferent to the rest of TE. Not bad, not great, my point is that people do that all over participatory sites on the internet."

I don't see how any of my modest comments or critiques could bring something to the entire TE community, so I think being positive for a few exchangees per day is not bad at all. No more pretention than that, but maybe I'm too humble. Hmmm...

I may be wrong about the point system, but perhaps I'm not and you're just a bit too categoric (but you seem very sure of what you say so you must have some info that are only shared by Kings).
:o)

Maybe that, when one is giving one of these unsignifiant smiley, this person has just the feeling that he his giving a tiny little something. It's just a symbol, no more than that but it doesn't exist with the "comment" button (which is useless in my opinion and that, I strongly believe, was only implemented to shut the neverending complains off, unfortunately without success). Possibly that some people here are using smileys just to earn others back, but I have the weakness to think they are a small minority (much less numerous than the ones who cry, all day long, because of this system which doesn't allow them to get the recognition they think they deserve). But I think you will probably not agree anyway and that's an endless argumentation...

But you will notice that I was speaking only about giving points, not about receiving. You can be sure that my good feeling is not diminished at all when I recieve a comment raher than a critique. And you know what, I am very sincere and honnest. And I feel also a bit insulted by the fact that you thought useful to add that at the end of your question. Personally I prefer not to speak rather than to speak without being sincere. Don't you? That's why, some times I just decide to react to things I read on this forum...

And to conclude, I think that if Adam decided to take the points system off, many people would just loose a very successful topic for discussions and complains. No more than that...

Nevertheless, I wish you a good day, and a lot of smiles, even if no smileys.

kajenn
10-02-2007, 07:51 PM
"<I>If you don't like the site:
- just leave: You are boring...</I>"
------------------------------------

Hear, hear!

kinginexile
10-03-2007, 03:50 AM
But I think you will probably not agree anyway and that's an endless argumentation
-------------------------
it' s not so much that, but you again made a mistake -sincere I am sure ;-)- which if rectified, could bring you to understand my point: Comments have smyleys. One can easily drop a note, a nice line about a shot, say hello, and "smyley" as a comment.

the comment on being sincere was not about your own use of the "critique" system, but about the reason why it is used in such manner (vs using the comment + smyley) on the site.

I usually talk about this subject in general. Not trying to tell anyone what to do. After all, I easily give critiques for comments myself, just never ping-ponged 24/7 with it. that's all.

bazal
10-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Yes but the smiley coming with the comment doesn't allow the person who receives it to points, which is, for me, a little bit narrow-minded, and that's why I think this "comment" function is useless, given that TE is not a photo contest.
When I spend a bit of time writting a few words for commenting a picture, it's at least because I enjoyed it. Therefore I think it deserves these two points, even if it's not a masterpiece of technique. I agree that it will definitely prevent anybody to rank pictures in terms of technical quality or whatever else, but who cares as it has NEVER been the goal of this site?

So, now, if understand you well, I'm finally sincere but also probably completely stupid because I keep writting (and thinking) mistakes and mistakes...
Well, that's fine with me. I don't care as soon as my honnesty is not questioned...
;o)

Cheers.

LB.