PDA

View Full Version : A Suggestion for an Under Viewed Photos Page

CedarBough
04-15-2003, 03:17 AM
Just thought it'd be nice if we had a separate page (randomly generated) of photos that had been underviewed. Perhaps of photos which had seen less than 10 views? I don't mean -underrated- because many times if a photo is viewed and not critiqued it's cause people have nothing to say about it, no helpful tips or whatever, but an underviewed page might turn up some real gems!

Maybe something like this already exists and I just haven't found it!

adam
04-15-2003, 07:42 AM
"Maybe something like this already exists and I just haven't found it!"

Not yet, but it's been asked before so I'll put it in somewhere. I imagine members will want to see 'Most Viewed', but I would rather not do that for a couple of reasons. First it will perpetuate the most viewed standing of the same photos, and secondly, it might encourage unnecessary competition.

So is it OK to NOT display 'Most Viewed'?

sita4ram
04-15-2003, 08:59 AM
great idea CB!
Adam, I think underviewed is an excellent category.
dont worry about the 'most viewed' Im sure ppl are not interested in that anyway.

btw - great job with the site... I know how hard it is to maintain a rapid changing, live and somewhat heavy load site. really, well done.

adam
04-15-2003, 10:16 AM
OK, there will be a 'Categories' tab in the Gallery section which will list the categories, cameras, random, Least Viewed etc. I can always add other things in later. I hope to have this done by this week. Thanks for the kind words by the way. It's the participation of people like you who make it so interesting.

CedarBough
04-15-2003, 06:15 PM
i certainly agree that a most viewed page is a bad idea, it's a good way to reduce the great things about this site! I can find good shots without any problem on the site now, so who cares how many others found them? Or actually, why not go for the ones that not many others did find, cause that photographer probably needs the feedback more!

BobTrips
04-15-2003, 06:33 PM
I'm with Cedar on this one. This site is used by people with a wide range of skills. I'd like to see the less skilled people get attention and help to aid them in producing better work.

BobTrips
04-15-2003, 07:19 PM
How about allowing individuals to select one of their photos and have it display on a "Please help me with this image" page?

Back a few months ago I had no editing skills worth mentioning. I emailed a problem photo to a friend who used PS. After he emailed me back an edit I ordered PSE.

Sometimes newbies just need to get some idea of what can be done.

adam
04-16-2003, 11:22 PM
Good idea. I was thinking of a 'Critique Request' section, I will add it in eventually.

GATTACA
04-17-2003, 02:54 AM
What about keeping the number of point beside the name and replacing the point of the photo by the number of time the picture is viewed (without a "most viewed classification) instead of the point of the photo, which can be kept in the information of the photo ?

adam
04-17-2003, 10:19 AM
The least viewed 18 photos are now displayed...

Gallery -> Categories -> Views -> <a href="/photos.php?cat=lv">Least Viewed</a>

Thanks for the suggestion, I think this is very useful and interesting!

adam
04-17-2003, 10:22 AM
"replacing the point of the photo by the number of time the picture is viewed "

How about if I display this in the popup box that comes up when placing the mouse over the photo? Currently only the photo title is displayed.

kckuddes
04-19-2003, 04:45 AM
I like Bobs idea of posting place that ask for help.

You also might have some more sorting so one can look for particulare types of photo's.