PDA

View Full Version : New Customized Lists Section

adam
09-28-2004, 08:52 AM
Due to the constant growth of this site, it's becoming harder and harder to keep up with posts by like-minded people. This new feature is designed to let you decide who and what to follow. Are you only interested in left-handed photographers from North America? Or maybe you only want to read critiques by people who post in-depth critiques? However you wish to organize a set a members, it is now possible using this new customized list feature.

Customized lists are an extension of the Favorites feature where it's possible to view all photos or critiques in your Favorites list. It is now possible to create up to 5 different lists and store up to 50 members per list. These lists are <b>private</b> and are not viewable by other members. How you name and define the list is up to you.

Some ideas:

-Leica Lovers -> To view photos of your favorite photographers who mostly use Leica.

-In-Depth Critiquers -> To view critiques by your favorite critiquers

-RTW Travelers -> To see what round-the-world travellers are up to

Currently there is are Members, Photos and Critiques tabs. Other tabs will be added in the future, such as Workshops and Discussions.

As always, if there are any suggestions, please let me know, thanks.

Note that to keep things interesting and fresh it's recommended to browse the general gallery to see if there any members who fit the parameters of what you're looking for.

--Added--
To create a list: Click 'My Account' -> 'Profiles' -> 'Lists Profile'

To add a member to list: Click 'Add to List' on member's Intro page.

davidao25
09-28-2004, 09:11 AM
Hi Adam
As soon I got the alert of the new list annoucements I tried to use it. I was able create a list "Photos to do future workshops" but I don't find a way to add any photo to the list. I guess that there's something missing on the html code or maybe is to soon to use this new feature?

My best regards

P.S. - I'm David, the guy that posted the "Looking at You" photo on TE and changed to TL, reported wrongly 4 or more family photos on TL and that never said thank you Adam for creating TE, TL and TN... so Thank You very much.

bundor
09-28-2004, 09:11 AM
It sounds a bit coplicated, but may be valuable for some. Browsing the gallery seems to me the most rewarding; most of us have lousy days as well as good days and there is always a new surprise in store.
Thanks indeed for such a remarkable site, wondrous not only for the quality and good spirit of the contributions but also amazing, amazing, as a very very clever and easily understood and operated web site. I am sure (you should tell your sponsors) that the advertising, being so discreet and stylish, is probably far more effective than vulgar spinning whirlies found in hellholes of the internet.

adam
09-28-2004, 09:17 AM
Oh, I forgot to explain this. Thanks for letting me know.

Usage
-----
To create a list: Click 'My Account' -> 'Profiles' -> 'Lists Profile'

To add a member to list: Click 'Add to List' on member's Intro page.

mdchachi
09-28-2004, 07:58 PM
> As always, if there are any suggestions, please let me know, thanks.

Cool feature. Please consider adding alerts for the lists, similar to how it works with Favorites.

ninadev
09-28-2004, 08:35 PM
Once we have made our lists, how do we get access to the photos of the members on that list.. Like Mike said, maybe a "alert" for the postings... But maybe also a button giving access directly to these photos. I would see on the gallery page such a button "personal lists gallery" which would bring us to the latest photos posted by all the listed members. Would be quite easier than going to our list and click one member then come back to the other members. Maybe with a sub-directory for each specific list.

danbachmann
09-28-2004, 08:57 PM
I like the idea of alerts for the lists (and the country alerts might be best if it goes down the the county level).

I can see the use of these lists, but I imagined them being sort of like themes but of users... public/shareable... there's already a list forming of serious critiquers to make a critique circle that each user is having to copy and maintain themselves...

I think I have to play to find out the best application of this new feature as I don't think I've found a good use for it yet.

As always, Adam, your effort is very much appreciated in creating both a creative and functional web site that works well for us, the citizens of planet Earth!

mdchachi
09-28-2004, 08:57 PM
I think there is already that functionality. Just check the My Lists links on the left side. Or do you mean something else?

RandomCameraGuy
09-28-2004, 09:32 PM
ummm, this is no doubt a ques with an obvious answer, but how do you delete someone from a list?

RandomCameraGuy
09-28-2004, 09:37 PM
I figured it out. Cheers!

Luko
09-28-2004, 11:27 PM
Pls help Adam : where are all my lists gone? :-(

I've created my own 5 lists (btw a GREAT feature you provided, thanks) while I was on a first CPU this afternoon, I'm now on a different CPU, I have checked the lists were in my list profile but I can't access to them while browsing the gallery anymore : no more list tabs except "edit/create list" on the left hand side.

have I done something wrong or simply don't understand how it works?

adam
09-28-2004, 11:38 PM
"have I done something wrong or simply don't understand how it works?"

Thanks for pointing that out. The lists are still stored; however you need to logout and login, or create a temporary list and then remove it, and then the lists will be redisplayed. If you still have problems please let me know, thanks.

adam
09-28-2004, 11:40 PM
"But maybe also a button giving access directly to these photos."

There is a Photos tab in each list to view photos from each list's members. Clicking on a list in the left hand menu should go directly to this page.

adam
09-28-2004, 11:41 PM
" imagined them being sort of like themes but of users... public/shareable"

I can make them public/private. Should I do that? Any opinions? They would default to Private initially. Thanks for the suggestion.

bebel
09-29-2004, 01:14 AM
dear Adam, my english is not very hight and I am waiting help of a friend next days to translate exactly , hope I will have understand a minimum of your annonce. I noticed the new change in my profil and try to use it. (perhaps there will be a french version later.
Thanks anyway for TE, it is a real pleasure to be here.
Pierrot

ninadev
09-29-2004, 01:39 AM
Sorry Adam, but I'm searching, I'm searching and can't find how to get access to the lists showing the members and view their pictures. The only place where I can see the members is when I add a new one. I looked in my favorites to see if there was an extension and I didn't see any. Could you please specify where it is ?

adam
09-29-2004, 01:51 AM
After you add a member to your list, you should see a Members, Photos and Critiques tab (below the usual member tabs). Currently it will be set to the Members tab. Clicking on the Photos tab right next to it will display the photos. I hope that helps.

ninadev
09-29-2004, 01:59 AM
I now see these Photos and Critiques tabs <b>after adding`</b> a member to my list. Does that mean that I have to add a member each time I want to have access to the Photos and Critiques Tab ? That doesn't seem very practical and forces me to add members even if I don't want them in, or am I dum and miss something else.

adam
09-29-2004, 02:10 AM
You should see the lists under the 'My Lists' section on the left-side menu. Do you see the 'My Lists' section? It will be displayed on every page.

ninadev
09-29-2004, 02:10 AM
Adam: Custamized lists should be translated by "Listes Personnalisées"

Voici la traduction de l'annonce d'Adam concernant les Listes Personnalisées.

Du à l’expansion du site il est de plus en plus difficile de visionner les photos de membres avec lesquels nous avons des points communs. Cette nouvelle option de Listes Personnalisées vous permet de décider quelles photos vous désirez particulièrement visionner. Vous êtes intéressé par des photographes gaucher d’Amérique du Nord ? Ou vous voulez lire les critiques des membres qui écrivent des critiques constructives et approfondies ? Il est dorénavant possible d’établir des listes de membres selon vos propres critères.

Les Listes Personnalisées sont une extension de vos Favoris où vous pouvez visionner toutes les photos ou lire les critiques des membres de votre liste de Favoris. Vous pouvez créer 5 listes différentes comprenant 50 membres par liste. Ces listes sont privées et ne peuvent être consultées par d’autres membres. Comme vous composez vos listes est votre prérogative.

Des idées :

- Utilisateurs de Leica : pour visionner les photos des membres favoris qui utilisent surtout un Leical;
- Critiques avertis : pour visionner les critiques de vos « critiques » favoris;
- Voyageurs : pour visionner les photos des membres qui parcourent la planète.

Présentement il existe des onglets pour les Membres, Photos et Critiques. D’autres onglets seront ajoutés éventuellement, tel que Ateliers et Discussions.

Comme toujours s’il y a des suggestions, SVP m’en faire part. Merci.

Nous vous suggérons tout de même de continuer à utiliser la page de la Gallerie pour garder l’esprit ouvert et voir si de nouveaux membres pourraient s’ajouter à vos Listes Personnalisées.

Ajout :

Pour créer une liste : clic « mon compte » « profils » « profils de listes »
Pour ajouter un membre à la liste : Allez sur la page d’intro de ce membre et cliquer « Ajouter à ma liste » (Add to my list)

Je n’ai pas encore compris comment, une fois la liste établie, on peut avoir accès à cette liste pour visionner les photos des membres choisis.

ninadev
09-29-2004, 02:14 AM
I see "My lists" on the left side with a tab under it "Create/Edit list" but no list as such. If I click go on the "Create/Edit list" I see the name of my first list but can't get access to it and there is only the Delete and Rename. I did log out and logged in again and there is no change.

adam
09-29-2004, 02:39 AM
Well, the cookie doesn't seem to be set for the new lists variable. What browser are you using? Do you allow cookies?

Thank you for the translation.

ninadev
09-29-2004, 02:49 AM
I use Internet Explorer and yes I allow cookies. OK, now I deleted the phony lists I created and can view the single one I wanted to keep for the time being. Bizarre.

I'll explain this in french now and ask if others had the same problem:

<b>A tous les francophones</b>: Vos listes apparaissent dans la partie gauche de l'écran sous "Vos listes". J'ai eu des problèmes au début, alors que j'avais créé une seule liste elle n'apparaissait pas, j'ai dû créer des listes additionnelles pour que ça apparaisse. Et ensuite enlevé les listes que je ne voulais pas pour que ma seule et unique liste pour l'instant soit affichée. Si vous éprouvez le même problème SVP en faire part à Adam.

green
09-29-2004, 03:00 AM
I don't have this problem, I'm using Opéra 7.54.

bpelvan
09-29-2004, 09:21 AM
Hi Adam,
Thanks a lot for your kind efforts. It works fine and saves too much time. 5 different lists and 50 members for each is a lot for the beginning.

Very useful.

Thanks again and regards
Bulent

bebel
09-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Merci Nina de ta coopération à la compréhension de tout cela. Il y avait des mots que je n'avais pigé.
Globalement, comme TE est intuitif, j'ai réussi à capter le nécessaire pour essayer cette nouveauté. Je pense ne pas avoir eu de problème de fonctionnement pour l'instant.

Thanks to Nina for this translate in french, now it is better ! With what I had understood first, I tried to use list and it is right for the moment.

Thanks Nina and Adam

Luko
09-29-2004, 01:29 PM
Nina,

simplement pour préciser que j'ai également eu un problème d'affichage de listes d'une nature légèrement différente (voir mon message plus haut à Adam) mais que celui-ci se résoud parfaitement lorsqu'on se "log out" (déconnecte) puis que l'on se "log in" (reconnecte) à nouveau.

Il s'agit vraisembablement d'un problème anodin de rafraichissement du profil utilisateur qui se résoud au moment de la connexion.

bebel
09-29-2004, 11:18 PM
Je saisi pas trop les problèmes que vous avez eu, mais apparemment, cela a bien fonctionné de mon côté. Il y a bien dans la colonne gauche la liste et la possibilité d'en créer d'autres. C'est aussi dans profiles
Maintenant, je cherche comment en voir tout l'intérêt ; pour l'instant, je cherche un peu comment l'utiliser au mieux.
Merci aux francophones bilingues !!!
Pierrot

RandomCameraGuy
09-30-2004, 12:08 AM
Hi Adam,

Great new feature btw! My only question is if it'll ever be possible to create more that 5 lists?

Cheers!

alex

ninadev
09-30-2004, 12:50 AM
Par exemple, dans votre cas vous pourriez créer une liste de membres qui postent des photos se rapportant à la navigation. Ainsi en cliquant sur votre liste les photos de ces membres s'afficheraient et vous pourriez les visionner et en faire la critique sans avoir à les chercher parmi la multitude de photos postées par toute la communauté surtout quand on manque de temps pour regarder toutes les photos. Ceci n'empêche pas et n'encourage surtout pas à ne pas visionner les photos des autres membres.

adam
09-30-2004, 10:42 AM
Note that I completely changed the logic so it should now always display correctly. Thanks.

kinginexile
10-19-2004, 10:03 AM
Hi, Adam. Maybe someone mentionned it already, but it would be nice to have a list for shots of people, as opposed to landscape or scenes.

adam
10-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Everyone may create their own lists as they see fit. Unless I am misunderstanding something?

pidjammies1
01-12-2006, 04:45 AM
I brought my picture up but the list doesn't seem to carry it through the entire process. The "issing html code" theory makes sense to me.