PDA

View Full Version : Spitzbergen

jrj
12-01-2003, 09:02 PM
This should be located as:

.../norway/north/troms/spitzbergen

As the Archipelago (Svalbard) is shown on your world map, it should also be able to adress it. (Some pics. are also saved under Spitsbergen and maybe also Svalbard)

Can you look into it Adam?

jrj
12-01-2003, 09:04 PM
oohps!

The adress can as well be:

../norway/north/spitzbergen

(as it is a sovereign place)

adam
12-02-2003, 07:21 AM
Hmm, Norway is organized by province on this site. It seems there are 19 provinces in Norway, which I have listed. Is 'Spitzbergen' another province? Thanks for any other information you can provide.

dsidwell
12-02-2003, 07:45 AM
The only thing I know about Spitzenbergen is that a UFO is purported to have crashed there. Did anyone in TE post photos of that?

jrj
12-02-2003, 10:02 AM
As Spitzbergen is only the largest island in this archipelago, maybe it would be even better to use the name for the whole region: Svalbard.
It is not a province, but is administrated as one. (You can on the TE map clearly see Svalbard right north of Norway (and if included with it's own adress, it would be nice to have the arcipelago colourmarked when the adress is used.)

Pls. find a short fact page here:

<a href="http://www.svalbard.net/?sel=1">Svalbard info&gt;&gt;</a>

Jack

jrj
12-02-2003, 11:09 AM
This is a new one for me.
Check out <a href="http://www.svalbard.net/index.php?c=0&amp;sel=1&amp;lang=0">this
webpage</a> if you want some more info of this place.

Jack

henrye
12-02-2003, 02:51 PM
Hi Jack. Thanks for the interesting photos about this very interesting place. I visited the links above and was amazed at what I found there. I especially like the warnings about all the polar bears that are running around there. :-)

Thanks for sharing it with us.

adam
12-03-2003, 07:51 AM
OK, I understand now. 'Svalbard' has been added to the 'North' region of Norway. Thanks for letting me know!

robin
12-05-2003, 04:23 PM
Also, it seems on the world map that Spitzbergen belongs to Russia?

adam
12-05-2003, 05:27 PM
"Also, it seems on the world map that Spitzbergen belongs to Russia?"

Are you referring to the color? The color indicates continent. Is Spitzbergen in Europe or Asia? Or Antartica?

I can change the color if necessary.

jrj
12-05-2003, 05:50 PM
It may seems like anything. (Unfortunately borders is not made by looking at maps. Had it been that easy, maybe there had been more peace in the world.) Let's stick to the facts.

1. Spitzbergen is one island - it is a part of SVALBARD.
2. Svalbard is administrated by Norway. The archipelago is organized as a Norwegian provice. By this it should be included as this - an own province under: Norway - Svalbard.(region is NORTH)

The colour for Svalbard should (in my opinion) only change when photos are posted under Svalbard (the province). As an alternative it should be integretad in the colour for Norway.

It would be very good Adam if you could arrange this, as posting from Svalbard (and Spitzbergen) to day is arranged under the province Troms - which is on the mainland and in reality is completely wrong for a group of islands next to the north pole.

Finally: Antartica is, I believe, close to the South pole as Arctic is close to the Nort Pole. (It's like RIGHT is the same as LEFT, just opposite)

Jack

adam
12-05-2003, 05:57 PM
"As an alternative it should be integretad in the colour for Norway."

OK, I'll do this.

"It would be very good Adam if you could arrange this, as posting from Svalbard (and Spitzbergen) to day is arranged under the province Troms - which is on the mainland and in reality is completely wrong for a group of islands next to the north pole."

Svalbard was added in a few days ago. You can select Svalbard now.

"Antartica is, I believe, close to the South pole as Arctic is close to the Nort Pole."

Ah, that's embarrassing. Of course! Thanks for the feedback.

jrj
12-05-2003, 05:58 PM
Thank's - impressing all the things you follow up!

Jack

adam
12-06-2003, 10:39 AM
"As an alternative it should be integretad in the colour for Norway."

Since Svalbard is located in Northern Europe, this archipelago is now displayed in purple on the main page, as is Norway and the other countries within Europe. Thanks again.

Note that you may need to delete cache in order to view the new map.

robin
12-08-2003, 10:25 AM
What I also meant is that if you visit the member page of someone who has photographed Russia, Spitzbergen is coloured along with Russia.

It's not the end of the world though, and I wouldn't have bothered to point this out hadn't there already been a thread about Spitzbergen... Well, enough of this, I should finally post my first photo ;-)

adam
12-08-2003, 10:44 AM
"if you visit the member page of someone who has photographed Russia, Spitzbergen is coloured along with Russia."

Oh, I understand now. I need to fix this as well, thanks for letting me know.

adam
12-16-2003, 09:30 AM
"What I also meant is that if you visit the member page of someone who has photographed Russia, Spitzbergen is coloured along with Russia."

This has been fixed; Svalbard is now displayed for Norway instead of Russia. Thanks for the feedback.