PDA

View Full Version : STEALING PHOTOGRAPHS AND COPYRIGHT VIOLATION FROM INTERNET

partha
02-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Its very surprising that two of my photographs uploaded in trekearth was downloaded by an Advertising agency of Kolkata and uses in some wide circulated newspaper. Is it posiible that no photographs can be downloaded from TE.
Partha

AdrianW
02-04-2007, 08:40 PM
I don't want to seem unsympathetic - because I am sympathetic, but unfortunately soon as you put a photograph online it's possible to steal it - there's no mechanism that I'm aware of that will prevent a determined image thief.

You can disable right click - but they'll just view the source and get the file URL, or screenshot the image.

If you obfuscate the URL, but screenshots will still work.

You can cover the image with a transparent spacer, but again the same methods will defeat that.

You can watermark your images with a visible logo, but it's possible to clone that out.

You can embed the image in flash, but again a screenshot will allow you to capture that.

You can buy something like digimarc to invisibly watermark your images - but I think screen capture will get around that too.

You can post images too small to be used commercially - but even that often doesn't stop people from upsizing your originals way beyond reasonable limits...

Almost all of the above methods will also require the user to enable all manner of things just to see the page, and may fall foul of disability legislation as well. They'll also prevent people from doing workshops, and probably prevent google from indexing them too.

If you display your photos in a real art gallery, people can still photograph them, or the lab could steal copies.

In short unfortunately the only way to completely prevent image theft is to not allow anyone to ever see your images ;)

My suggestion? If you're certain they're yours - request payment, and/or send them a cease and desist notice, and hope they remove the images. If that fails unfortunately pretty much the option is to take them to court... Good luck!

jmdaoudal
02-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Adrian, that is a very precise and good information about the copies, and I ageee, the only thing do do is just show tight to the pictures you don't want to be copied and then if so ask for a payment at the markets fees.
Many thanks Adrian for these words
Jean Michel

VeeJayCee
02-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Send then a large bill Partha. Either you'll get paid or they will remove them.

oochappan
02-04-2007, 10:43 PM
I had the same with Reliance,
a friend, two lawyers on it, no use,
take a shot of the theft, expose them in a WS,
it enlighten their unreliability !

send a link to them ... mostly they wan't reply but at least they will stop as they know that they are exposed to the world.

Don't forget, they steal also from the site TE, from Adam.

LuCho-Man
02-05-2007, 12:56 AM
Think about it... lets say some advertising/tourism or any type of agency copies and uses our pictures illegaly, can we actually sue them? take them to court or get them arrested? as far as i know if you send them an e-mail telling them (hey thats my pic!!!) they could just ignore it and keep on using them, or for example i live in Belgium... lets say some agency from Japan does the same thing... how could we even get in contact with them...
-
-
I think few will have the chance of being asked to sell their pictures...
-
-
it seems it's very hard to have something protected online.... :(

Polonaise
02-05-2007, 05:05 AM
Do you guys, know anyone who wants to steal my pictures?
Any of them...?
And how much does it cost? (I'm not quite sure if I can afford them thieves).
Oh, boy...I'm so envy about those of you folks, complaining about your copyrights infringements...
Why not me? Why nobody wants to steal my masterpieces...Why?
Boooooo… Mamaaaaa !!!

partha
02-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Hi George,
Thanks for the informations you have delivered as well as the responses of the other. Probably I will send the agency the legal notice then if they do not entertain it I will go to court for infrigement of copyright. I have the negative as well as all relevent documents, they donnt have anything.
Can You suggest what may be the compensation should I claim for those two photographs.
In the mean time I find another photograph was floating in net as a greetings card and I am unable to trace out the thief.
Partha

ramesh_lalwani
02-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Two of my photographs were pirated by Times of India,EconomicTimes and and Hindustan Times.I have lodged complaint with Press Council of India.Times of India paid me compensation but no response from Economic Times and Hindustan Times.I suggest you lodge a complaint with Press Council.

s10001in
02-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Hey george..
Same with me..
Even I asked few people to steal mine photos..but nobody is intrested.
:D

kevinos
02-05-2007, 07:59 PM
I have been approached to sell pictures and I have been approached to allow some to be used free, but , so far as I know, none have been stolen. I would like to know how you find out that some website has stolen your picture. Is it just by chance or do you have a searching technique. Regards Kevin

VeeJayCee
02-05-2007, 08:36 PM
A friend from another site was contemplating a permanent move to Spain. She checked online estate agents and found that one had used several of her photographs, both online and in brochures.

Vato_Law
02-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Hey George,
How much are you willing to pay so that I can steal your photos? I advise you that you have to pay me a huge amount otherwise I won't do it...
To rob them for nothing I already have my super, fabulous shots!:(

oochappan
02-06-2007, 10:25 AM
They gave me the newspapers here, not only the publicity from multinational Reliance,
and
I stumbled once on an immens political publicity board here, 3 meters high, with 3 photos of me in the background, this was pure luck I guess.