PDA

View Full Version : Pakistan chalo!!

Olga
07-27-2004, 03:13 PM
Today i booked my ticket to leave for Islamabad on 28 August. I got my visa from the Pakistani Consulate in London last Friday.

My friends think I am insane. My Pakistani friends reply to my emails with "i strongly advice not to go on your own" (I am female travelling solo). I go back to the Lonely Planet TT Central Asia branch and cheer myself up reading threads "female travelling solo in Afghanistan".

I will not be defeated!!

I have wanted to see Pakistan for a long time, and mainly for the reason that it is an Islamic country. I proudly show everyone who is prepared to watch my visa which says "Islamic Republic of Pakistan". They don't realise how important this step is for me!! I like to stretch myself, to go outside my comfort zone, to experience culture shock... which, ultimately, helps me to know myself better... and i miss Indian subcontinent.

So, Pakistan chalo!

mimi
07-27-2004, 06:31 PM
Have a great time, Olga!!!!! While I haven't been to Pakistan, I certainly have heard my share of "You're going WHERE on your own?" You know you'll come back smarter, stronger, and even better equipped for the next trip. Can't wait to see the pix and hear the stories.

Mimi

Olga
07-28-2004, 09:10 PM
thanks Mimi!!!

Soulkikker
08-19-2004, 02:08 AM
Oh cool, I've been to Pakistan last year and it was one of the highlights on my trip. I can advise you to go mainly to the north, especially the Hunza valley. I went to a place called Karimabad, it was amazing. Breathtaking scenery and such friendly people. It beats Nepal by far. In this area there are also a lot of NGO's, so you could find work there also, something I wanna try in march when I go back there. Also be sure to go to Lahore on thursday to the sufinight. There is only one place to stay in Lahore: the regal internet inn, the hotelowner will take you to this sufinight. If you want more information, just mail me.

Olga
09-17-2004, 06:32 PM
well some weeks later I am at the end of my wonderful sejour in Pakistan. I LOVED the country!!! Nothing of my concerns about lonely woman travelling alone proved right. Instead, I have experienced the kindness of strangers, I have not had so many strangers taking care of me all along the way (Islamabad-Baltistan-Hunza-Gilgit-Chitral-Peshawar-Lahore)... Islamic hospitality and Pakistani generousity... I will miss you dearly and will be looking forward to come back next year...

NangaParbat
05-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Dear Olga what a courageous woman! But indeed you're right. There is a lot of unjust fuss travelling safely to Pakistan. Pure rubbish… I’ve been there many, many times (I live in The Netherlands was born and bred over here but my parents are from Pakistan NWFP). I advice you atleast visit to K2, Nanga Parbat, Skardu and Lake Saif-ul-Muluk absolutely mind-boggling and out of this world. Visit www.beautifulpakistan.com/ and http://www.humar.com/en/expeditions/nanga2005/gallery.php to asses the beauty for yourself. This is just so amazing...

NangaParbat
05-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Damned you've already been to Pakistan two years ago now, I see looking at the thread date :) Anyhow, this advice could be considered by someone whose planning to leave for Pakistan in 2006! :)