PDA

View Full Version : Hit rate?

erollm
05-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Hi everyone, am new to this forum and just started posting last week.As in most photo forums I see great shots, mediocre shots and bad shots.I have been trying to improve my travel photography for years and whilst it is getting better (at least I think so :-) I still have what I call a hit rate of about 1:40 meaning for every shot I take there are another 39 that end up in the trash can.Mainly falling into one of the following 3 categories 1.technically imperfect 2.Boring, meaning does not really capture what I thought I saw or 3.bad composition.what is your hit rate, higher or lower...am curious to understand what I can expect to get to over time....

fijiphil
05-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Hi Andy, I have approx 2000 photos scanned into my computer from my two world trips, and of those I feel I have posted all that are worth posting, which is about 35. So that is a strike rate of about 1 in 50, i.e. not so different than yours.

I think if you ask any professional, you will find that they have a similar or even worse strike rate. They take *lots* of photos. Of course, their expectations of a strike would be much higher than yours or mine...

lotis
05-13-2006, 05:27 PM
I probably have a strike rate around 1:40, 1:50 also. But I usually take many photos, even if I know they will most likely not be good. Also, I sometimes take many shots of the same thing, just to make sure that I at least get 1 good one.
So if I take one of my trips for example, I took about 2500 photos and printed 87, so that is roughly 1:30. But it depends of many factors. I went shooting one day, and got no good ones out of 52 so...
Cheers

Keitht
05-13-2006, 09:29 PM
I suspect many people have found their hit rate fall when they switch to digital. Because the media is effectively free i.e. no film cost, more variants on a single shot will be taken than tended to be the case when film cost did play a part.
I am not suggesting that people on this site are simply blasting away and hoping for the best, far from it - there is probably a lot more experimentation going on. In the days of film I would be happy with 1 or occasionally 2 really good shots per film, so a hit rate of around 1:25 to 1:30. That has now probably dropped to about 1:40 but I am happy with that ratio as (a) I am still learning about the camera and (b) as said above I am experimenting more.