PDA

View Full Version : change Myanmar to Burma

padam
09-17-2003, 03:15 PM
I know that this subject is highly political, but the name Myanmar has never been adopted by the majority of the international community. The name "Myanmar" has been promoted by the military authorities in Burma since 1989 and has never been approved by any sitting legislature in Burma.

The conventional long form currently adopted by the US government and the majority of the countries in the world is "Union of Burma".

Please change the name Myanmar to Burma in Trekearth ;-))

BobTrips
09-17-2003, 06:52 PM
'Burma' was the name given to Myanmar by the British when they took it over and made it a British colony. The Burmese are one ethnic group within the larger country.

I'm not defending the present government of Myanmar, nor do I have any interest in doing so.

I see this particular issue part of the throwing off of the British yoke, several years late. Look at India with its name changes of late: Kolkata, Mumbai, etc.

padam
09-17-2003, 11:00 PM
The argument of the throwing off of the British yoke was the main argument of the junta in 1989. In 1989, just after the repression, the junta wanted to go on record that the army had done something positive for the nation. They appointed a commission of enquiry into the true naming of Myanmar names. This resulted in the official replacement in languages other than Burmese of "Burma" with "Myanmar" (and many towns as, for instance, Rangoon to Yangon). At the opposite, all democratic associations related to Burma kept the older name "Burma" (Union of Burma, Freeburma, Burma Campaign, The Burma Project, Democratic Voice of Burma, Burmanet, etc...). To the eyes of many people, to employ the name "Myanmar" on the internet in languages other than Burmese gives credit to the junta.

ninadev
09-17-2003, 11:49 PM
I know nothing of the politic in Myanmar/Burma, but I found interesting what I've read in your two posts. Seems like either one or names would please or unplease (??) some people. How about if on TE the country would be identifed as I wrote in my first sentence Myanmar/Burma or Burma/Myanmar, and the photos posted in either the chosen name could be viewed by everyone ? Do you think that would be satisfactory ?

adam
09-18-2003, 09:12 AM
"Please change the name Myanmar to Burma in Trekearth"

It is listed as Myanmar as this is the name used in the United Nations. In the future I may add an alias feature so Burma may be added.