PDA

View Full Version : Post whatever you want - for a price

ronners
09-11-2003, 11:11 PM
Today I've been reading more discussions about what should and shouldn't be posted here (the cats and dogs thread). I've been noticing that as the number of members has increased this site has been turning into a general photography site, which is invariably diluting it's value as a 'window on the world'.

Other photography sites have begun to recognise that people are simply using them for online photo storage. In response, a fee has been introduced in a number of cases (for example DPChallenge, which I started visiting recently, charges you $25 for access to various parts of the site and increased storage I belive).

It's a sad statement, but people often only change their attitude when it begins to affect them financially. If you aren't prepared to pay, and allow yourself the luxury of posting as many photos as you like, then you'll be more selective with your postings. I'm sure that a lot of us would be quite happy to make a minimal contribution. I've also pointed out before that storage is not infinite, and Adam can't simply go on providing increasing space forever.

So, if you believe in this site, and it's continued success, I suggest you put your money where your mouth is. A minimal contribution would mean little to each of us, but would certainly be appreciated by Adam. And if you don't see the value, you could always put up your own web site...

Ron.

Bayleaf
09-13-2003, 05:23 AM
I'd be more than happy to pay Adam for the pleasure of using this site, and have stated so on many occasions. However, for me to pay Adam $25 from Japan would cost me $50, making a total of $75. The banks would make twice what I want to pay Adam just to get the money to him. Making an international money order is cheaper but still not insignificant.

In short, without a credit card payment system, or some other way to make payments easily and without too high a surcharge, Adam will be hard pushed to get payment from anyone outside of the US.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you Ron. Once there's a system in place to pay, I'll be the first to dip my hands in my pockets.

Martin.

Coyote
09-13-2003, 05:54 AM
Yep, I agree with you both. I've paid Slug at pBase more than he asked and have done it since before it became a for-pay site.
$25 would be a small price to pay for what we have and enjoy here- but Martin has a point, why give 3 times that to the banks etc. just to give Adam a pitance. Some form of efficient payment criteria need be set up for those not in the USA. Count me in.
JJ

SirWilliam
09-13-2003, 11:26 AM
You can't post anything you like here - not even for a high price. This is one of the main good things of TE. Having said that, it's okay for me to pay some money, as a membership, because i earn enough to pay such little extra things. I would be disappointed if some people with lower incomes are deprived of posting here.

AdrianW
09-13-2003, 04:11 PM
One word: PayPal. I use it to transfer money overseas from time to time, because it's so much cheaper than using the banks here...

ornis
09-13-2003, 08:59 PM
Ron wrote...I've also pointed out before that storage is not infinite, and Adam can't simply go on providing increasing space forever.
Obviously, with the rythm of new members joining, I don't see how Adam will be able to manage all this financially alone. That's what we call in french "la rançon du succès". As many of you, I suppose, if a participating fee is considered in the future, I will be part of the contributing members. I share the views of above messages... it should permit low budgets to join and shouldn't involve exagerated transfer costs. After all, pleasure has a cost everywhere, why not on TE. The amount of postings let me think that posters find here what they like.

Bayleaf
09-14-2003, 06:18 AM
Willem,
I could not agree more with you. Firstly, I didn't mention in my post in reply to Ron's post, that I personally do not post any old shot, so that I can show the folks back home. I only post shots that I am very happy with, or are important in some way to a Travelogue.

Secondly, a blanket enforced fee would not work for TE either, for the reason for state. The cost of living varies from country to country. Using the original sum of $25 dollars as an example, this buys me and my wife a bowl of noodles each and one beer here in Tokyo, but it would be a weeks wages in some countries. Asking the same fee across the board, would immediately scare off hundreds of members. It should probably be set up to allow payment of a "contribution". I would happily pay much more than $25, and some may decide not to pay at all, but they should not be forced out.

Martin

Bayleaf
09-14-2003, 06:46 AM
Good point Adrian! I didn't realize you could use PayPal without a merchant account etc.

I've just opened a PayPal account and sent Adam some money.

Cheers,
Martin.

Keitht
09-14-2003, 11:11 PM
I have just returned from 3 weeks in Canada and am extremely jetlagged, but I can spot the cats and dogs thread referred to above. If somebody can give a date I might have a bit more luck.

For what it's worth I pay to access certain areas (no not those sort of areas !!) on another site. I have no problem with the idea of contributing to the upkeep of the site. How about something along the lines of free viewing and commenting but 'membership required for posting?

RobBrown
09-15-2003, 02:08 AM
I get the feeling you may mean me by type as I very rarely post a picture that you probably feel is truely in the TE spirt, some far flung jungle native posted from a laptop some where? I try on the other hand to see life on a macro scale as this is as I see life, I feel the bigger problem is the posters who fail to comment on other work (I know this can be difficult to do against such a wealth of experience it can be a little intimadating) and also those who fail to explain why they feel the need to post a certain picture or than to see it on the screen.
I certainly would of slide on by if there had been a joining fee ,instead I have felt welcomed from the first,commented upon sometime not as much as I thought it deserved but hey thats life,and where I felt I could actualy comment to some purpose other than to say just nice pic. then I feel I have done so.
Adam probably does deserve make a million out of this brilliant site, but I just do not feel charging is the right way to go just ensure every body thinks about why they are posting here. well that my 6 penny worth, feel free to abuse.

joseelias
09-15-2003, 04:14 PM
One of the main reasons I've joined this site (besides the theme it self) was the free of charge membership. If I had to pay maybe I'd continue to visit it but would probably never become a member.

More, because of this site I've started to look at photography in a more sirious way. Before, I've never thought in posting and post-processing my photos. Why did I start doing it? Because of free membership and acess to critiques without costs.

I agree with the notes on photos wich have little to do with this site, but the costs are not equal in every part of the world. For the north America countries (Canada, US) have a notion, any digital camera in Portugal costs the double than in these countries. People here earn not even half...

What I want to say is, this site is about the world and knowing it through photography. If you put a price on it you'll only acess the vision of rich tourists on those countries. And I believe many photos are posted by locals to show what they are proud of in their contries, as me.

My opinion? Just filter the photos that don't belong here and erase them. I accept cats,dog and flowers pictures as long they teach me somethihg about the world.