PDA

View Full Version : Visiting the Amazon River on April

erdna
02-09-2006, 06:58 AM
I am (with my wife) booked on a ship to cruise through the Amazon River starting April 7, 2006 at Tortola, British Virgin Island, to Trinidad $ Tobago, Devil's Island, French Guiana through the Amazon all the way to and ending in Manaus on April 24, 2006. I do not know what to expect here in the month of April. I am just starting to read about the place. I have never been to Brazil, any part of it. This will be my first time in this country. Any advice you can give, places of interest, things to watch out for, and things to bring wll be welcomed. You may email me directly at erdna71@comcast.net

Andre'

don_narayan
02-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Well, a boat trip up the Amazon is a fantastic trip. I did this last January (2005) from Belem to Manaus. You didn't specify which parts of Brazil you will be in but since you mentioned Manaus, I would suggest a jungle trip. Simple jungle trips involve going into the smaller tributaries of the Amazon, staying at a jungle lodge, some trekking, pirana fishing, caiman catching and other fun stuff like that. Trips can be anything from 2 days to however long you want... prices vary on the size of the group and the company. Once you are in Manuas, you will be able to book a trip in just about any hotel. Manaus has some cool sights to see as well, mainly the opera house. Besides that, there is nothing else for a tourist to do there. Places to go beyond Manaus are: Venezuela, especially the "Gran Sabana," about 20 hours by bus... no buses go very far south beyond Manaus. You can also continue on to Peru via boat or boat back north to Belem or fly to somewhere else in Brazil, but, Manaus is pretty limiting, the main/only thing there is the jungle.

Stuff to bring. Some rain clothes that are breathable (ie. Gore Tex or something similar), boots for hiking in the jungle, insect repellent, even though you are likely to still get bitten since the insects there are pretty burly!

Hope some of that helps.

Narayan

erdna
02-11-2006, 06:09 AM
Thank you. That was very helpful. We will be passing and stopping at Belem also.

Andre'

tritonia
02-12-2006, 12:08 AM
i think the most important thing while you are there is to forget about how annoying are the insects and all about the mosquito bites and enjoy.the beauty of amazon and the endless green is something beyond perfection so try to get as many contacts with nature as you can and dont waste the time in the big cities like belen or manaus,.
when i was in amazon was march and was pretty rainy the weather so yes ,bring anti rain protection and you could also buy an antimosquito net from belen or manaus very cheap and in variety of colours.
ebjoy the unforgetable beaty:)

erdna
02-14-2006, 01:08 AM
Thank you Efi for your advise.

Andre'