PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting for Tilt

Darren
08-31-2003, 05:44 PM
Something I notice on quite a number of shots here is that the horizon is not let, or vertical lines are slanted. Sometimes we just miss these things (I certainly have been guilty of this many times), but sometimes it might be that the photographer doesn't know how to "straighten things up". This is one of the easiest tasks in Photoshop I think, so I thought I would pass it along.

First, choose the measure tool(it is hidden underneath the eyedropper tool in PS7), and make a line along a line in the photo you want to be either perfectly horizontal or vertical. If, once you have drawn that line, it is not exactly at the angle you want, you can click on one of the Xs at each end of the line, and drag it to where you want. Once you have the line at the correct angle, go to Image->Rotate Canvas->Arbitrary. The program will have already calculted the degree of rotation needed. Once this is done, you will have to crop because the photo itself will now be at an angle, but your lines will be as you like them. The whole process should take just a minute or so, and can certainly help make your shots look more polished.

AdrianW
08-31-2003, 06:18 PM
Whilst you're correcting for tilt, always try and use a known horizontal or vertical (like a lamppost, or an aerial) near the centre of the image - lens (and parallax) distortion is much lower there!

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be available in Photoshop Elements, so you'll have to estimate those by eye...

cosyCloud
08-31-2003, 08:17 PM
Wow, never noticed that feature before (photoshop calculating the degree by the measure tool). I have version 5 and it works just the same.

I have been trying to do it by eye. Thanks for the tip!

BobTrips
08-31-2003, 08:25 PM
I use the 'crop' tool to check plumb and level. You can drag either a horizontal or vertical straight line along the image to see what's straight/what's not.

Mrcurtain
10-20-2003, 06:18 AM
Thanks Darren.

I've been looking for a way to do that.

-Adam #2 :-)