PDA

View Full Version : For RAW photographer - a survey

Guto
02-01-2006, 06:54 AM
From dprevier.com:

<i>"<a href=http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06013103openrawsurvey.asp>OpenRAW Survey needs your help</a>
Click for: OpenRAW Survey needs your helpThe OpenRAW initiative has today launched a survey to collect "experiences, requirements, preferences, and concerns of digital photographers and other interested parties regarding RAW imaging technology." The results of this survey will be published into the public domain and we will report them in detail here on dpreview. We would encourage all dpreview readers to take part in this survey."</i>

Well... though I just started on this raw business, I think this an important initiative. I've just filled the form survey, it takes around 15 minutes. OpenRaw is a iniciative towards an open raw file format. It's moved by the same concerns of open source initiative, one of the most important is future access to digital files, and the ability to use any plataform, any system, to view/read/access YOUR FILES. Yes, information on digital files is yours, it doesn't belong to software/camera/hardware producers.

My own experience is that I had to browse a lot (thanks google!) to find a way to open raw files produced by my new Nikon D50 with my Linux powered computer. I've done very few shots in raw format until now, as I'm still learning about it. But the ability to open it in the future is certainly a big issue.