PDA

View Full Version : Photography as a Career- HELP!

jb06
11-15-2005, 02:20 AM
Ok, I'm a senior in High School, and I would like to persue a career in Photography. My father recently purchased the Canon Digital Rebel XT online for me, and I am still waiting for it to arrive. Can someone please tell me what it is like to be a Photographer? What is the pay like? I know it varies depending on where you live, what you photograph, etc..I plan on attending The School Of Visual Arts in NYC to get my Bachelors Degree in Photography. After that I would like to work for a Newspaper or Magazine. I also like to get into Travel Photography. All I am asking for is some advice.
Thanks.
- Jeff

jinju
11-15-2005, 02:31 AM
Do you have some sort of portfolio made? I dont know, but I would strongly suspect that the school you plan on attending would require some sort of portfolio, or would base their decision on your past photos.

mlopes
11-15-2005, 02:54 AM
I agree that a portfolio will help you in the future, you can contact agencies or magazines, start by bee a freelancer maybe covering events... i don't know... you must be noticed in this ocean of offers... but i think it's the same whatever the work is.

DiaAzul
11-15-2005, 03:07 AM
Without wishing to be rude...the first thing you need to learn is to spell (it is 'pursue' and not persue as you have written) - given your profile states you are in the United States I am assuming your first language is English, however, if this is a second language then apologies. For a career in photography Reading, Writing and Arithmetic are still necessary foundations before you can embark upon a career.

Your next most important skill is to learn how to market yourself and make a sales pitch. If you can pick up the telephone, call one hundred people, get the same number of rejections and still keep going then you stand a chance of breaking in to photography. Only once you have acquired these skills is it worth considering what you are going to photogaph and how good you are - and in some cases you don't need to be an excellent photographer provided you can market and sell either your own skills or what you produce.

Income will depend upon how well you market and sell yourself. It is a self generated business and if you can develop a client base and niche for yourself then there is no reason you shouldn't be able to make a decent income (though this will take time to achieve a good reputation). If you are an excellent photographer and can't sell or market yourself then your income will be zero, if you are a modest photographer and you are excellent at selling and marketing you will do well.

jinju
11-15-2005, 03:47 AM
Is photography a real passion for you? You say you are a senior in highschool, so then next year you will want to attend university and pursue photography. But from what you write you basically dont even have a camera. I would think that at this stage, being a semester away from applying to a good school you would not only have a decent set up in terms of your camera and lenses, but also an extensive portfolio that clearly shows your photographic syle. I dont want to be a downer but it seems like you are a bit behind the game. You will be competing with people with thick portfolios, clearly defined styles, etc.

kikvel
11-15-2005, 09:05 AM
heyyy!

I can tell you what is to be an amateur photographer. I shoot for fun.
It is great!

In my country it is very difficult to make a living on photography. Although is possible, it is only a modest profession.

I can easily figure out that outside the field is very competitive, so you must be well prepared, and also have some experience already in order to be decided about photography as a career.

Follow your heart young man, find inspiration among the great photographers. Do not get lost into paradigms and do what you feel you have to.

I have no other words to say to you, than to bu some books, and start learning and practicing with the camera.

be well and tell us how it goes, and remember me when you are famous!

:D

K.

greg
11-15-2005, 07:33 PM
Hi David! For a sentence about reading, writing and arithmetic, it's best not to repeat yourself in the same sentence. ;)

DiaAzul
11-16-2005, 01:18 AM
Dang, I always knew there was a great danger of the pot calling the kettle black.