PDA

View Full Version : D70S or D50 or EOS350D? - The Big Question

pracas
09-09-2005, 07:28 AM
I've decided to change equipments...i have a budget of 1000$. I need suggestion as to which of the above is the best choice in terms of picture quality and value for money. The review sites point that the D70S is far superior than the EOS350D however my studio says otherwise in terms of results. i would like to more from existinf users of all the three...

regards,
Prakash

gringofil
09-09-2005, 10:22 AM
Get the Canon EOS 350D.

jrj
09-09-2005, 02:36 PM
AS a Nikon user for many years I think I am a bit subjective here.

But I have no doubt at all recommending:

<b>Nikon D70 with lens: AFS DX 18-70 ED</b>

A really top "photo machine" :-)

kikvel
09-09-2005, 02:59 PM
get the canon 350D and check the reviews at www.dpreview.com

they are very objective and you will conclude the canon350d is better for the money

get good lenses!

K.

oochappan
09-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Had a Nikon .... raisor sharp
now Canon ... colors
saw many results of the 300D, cheaper but very good, not much differance 2Mgb

Get a good lens ! most important, EF will fit on any Canon, not EF-S.

gringofil
09-09-2005, 04:58 PM
Why...what's wrong with EF-S lenses? I own one and I think it's a great piece of glass (sure, I can't use it on a 1D, 5D or film body...but how many of us have the desire to move up to such an expensive camera...I like the 1.6 crop factor).

kikvel
09-09-2005, 05:13 PM
the EFs will not work with the full frame, I guess that is what Henk mentioned,

I found also the EFs nice, I do too have one;

K.

oochappan
09-09-2005, 05:41 PM
nothing wrong with EF-S, some are incredible good but we live in a time that prices fall and lot of new cameras to come, EF will always fit on any smallest to biggest sensor , indeed the smaller sensor the better multiply factor for zoom.

I ask my self why Nikon tend to smaller sensors more performand while Canon goes for bigger ones .... must be a reason for ? maybe more lightinterfearance on smaller ones ?
Who had ever thought that a simple CMOS would come that far, it captures a lot more then only light ......

markgong
09-09-2005, 07:45 PM
I've been shooting with a D70 for the last six months, and I love it. IMO the nikon handle better than canons and the interface is more user friendly. I don't know how Canon guys do it with just one wheel. Go and hold a 350D and a D70s, and you'll know what I mean. Also, the D70s kit comes with a much better lens for the kit and used Nikon lens are generally cheaper to obtain than their canon counterparts. Either way you can't go wrong, but I prefer Nikons.

ninadev
09-09-2005, 11:45 PM
Here is page at dpreview where you can compare these 3 equipment side by side.

<a href=http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos350d%2Cnikon_d70s%2Cnikon_d50&show=all>compare</a>

If you choose the Nikon, for a couple of hundred dollars you are better off with the D70s than the D50. I personally have the D70 and I am very satisfied with it, but all the people I know who owns the Canon 350D are also satisfied.

IaKoop
09-10-2005, 08:25 PM
When my old Nikon SLR was stolen in the spring I figured it was time to go digital. After much deliberation over the same cameras you're considering (and with a heavy bias towards Nikon) I finally went for the Canon (sold as the Rebel XT here) for purely financial reasons. The kit with a single wide-angle lens scooped below the D70s by nearly $300 US, which was enough to convince me to give it a shot. Note that this was an unfair comparison, since the D70s comes with a nice Nikkor lens and the Canon with a comparative cheap-o plastic(!!) mount. I was budget conscious at the time of purchase and this got me rolling. As I saw it, there's plenty of time for nice lenses in the future.

That said, I've been pleasantly surprised. The kit lens has worked well for me and boosted my savings towards a good tele. In the mean time the extra 2MP has given me room to crop a little tighter when it serves the shot. Finally (don't quote me on this among the macho pros ;D) the fact that the Canon is significantly smaller and lighter hasn't exactly been a negative in my travels.

So there you go... this Nikon girl went to Canon and she's yet to have a moment of regret. That's my 2 cents. Enjoy whichever you choose!

Clairedelune
09-10-2005, 11:34 PM
Yes! That's a big one! I think that you can't go wrong with either one. The best thing to do is to go in stores and handle both of them. For me, with small hands and fingers, it was difficult to keep the Nikon D70s with one hand only. After a few minutes, I had to put it on the counter. Small thing maybe, but if you don't feel comfortable with the camera in your hands, it is kind of unpleasant.

I don't quite understand your sentence: "The review sites point that the D70S is far superior than the EOS350D". I looked to a lot of review sites and magazine articles. Usually, they put them on the same levels (globally). Or if they prefer one versus the other, I never saw "far superior". I don't say that it is not true. I just say that I never read that. Well, maybe we don't consult the same review sites! ;)

For me (always subjective point of view!), I liked (in comparison with each other):
EOS350D: size and weight, large range of lenses, viewfinder, mirror lockup (especially since I like doing long exposure shots), 8 megapixels, 100 ISO.
D70s: 2 wheels (for shutter speed and aperture), ISO at 1/3 stop, "real" spot metering (something like 2 or 3% compared to 9% for Canon).

Well, I had to choose! It was the Rebel. I don't regret it! I guess it would have been the same if I would have taken the Nikon D70s. I think we have to learn how to use the material we have, learn to have creative eye, and enjoy taking pictures!

Just my 2 cents!

Claire

roteague
09-22-2005, 02:55 AM
The question is what is your ultimate goal with your photography? Base your choice on that, and not what these different sites say. Look at the cameras, see if the controls meet your needs and if they all all the functions you need. Personally, I think you could get yourself a much better deal with a film camera - I recently bought a used Nikon F5 for $750, which is 10 times the camera the D70 or 350D is. Even a new N80 (the film equivalent of the D70) will only set you back less than $300.

Furachan
09-22-2005, 04:12 AM
Ok, I use a 20D, now THAT's out of the way, I may surprise some folks but...the D50 is the real sleeper here.
This are my own subjective thoughts after handling all those cameras many times in the Tokyo shops.
D70 - don't like the "feel" of it AT ALL - seems to drag your hand downward in a weird way.
350D: for tiny-tiny hands only IMHO - feels downright strange liie a whole chunk of the grip is missing. Don't go there.
D50 - FASTER AF eprformance than the D70 even. Great in low light, and, according to dpreview.com, better noise characteristics in high ISOs than the D70. For the price, it's a winner - get it with the better Nikon zoom lens (18-70?) and you won't regret it. Oh, and it feels better in the hand (to me) than the D70.
Sorry to complicate your life further but...you asked.
Cheers,
Francis (VERY happy with the Eos 20D by the way)

MKING
09-22-2005, 05:02 AM
You might be interested in viewing this link (dpreview specifications comparison for the 3 cameras): <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=nikon_d70s%2Cnikon_d50%2Ccanon_eos350d&show=all" target="blank">D70s, D50, EOS350D compared</a>

On the specifications list all 3 look very similar in terms of what they offer you. If you can go to a shop do handle all 3 of them and figure out which one you find the most comfortable to operate. If it's your first DSLR and first SLR-type camera then you won't have any pre-existing biases. Make sure you like the way it handles before you buy it.

haans_gruber
09-25-2005, 04:35 AM
I realize you asked for users of all of these types of cameras. I can only tell you from my experience here on the board, nearly every time I find an exceptional photo. I look to find the same group of photographers with the Nikon D70 shot them. I haven't been on the board long but, I have been into photography since I was very young. I chose the Nikon D70 and Nikkor lenses. They are tried and true by professonals and amateurs alike.

Popular Photography & Imaging stated in this month's issue (October 2005 - Page 98 First sentence) "TO DATE, THE NIKON D70 is the best-selling Nikon single-lens reflex of all time. I have to say I am extremely happy with the performance of my D70 (not an S model). I would not change my mind after the many hours I have spent here (on the board) as well as the results I have seen with my own eyes here at home using the Nikon D70. This camera performs spectacularly, intimidating from the jump but, well documented and easily mastered.

I find the D70 to be one of the best digital cameras I have seen so far (barring the D2X - $5000 Street). None of my friends cameras/photos can touch the one's I have taken with my D70 (not even close). They all believe it's because I am a better photographer than they are. I do not believe that entirely tells the story. I can tell you this, if you choose a Nikon D70, you'll be happy you made that choice. Take it from someone who knows ....... an extremely happy Nikon D70 owner.

I hope you find this helpful in your decision making process.

peace,

haans :)

plimrn
03-08-2006, 08:28 AM
I bought the D 70 becuase I was looking for faster firing. I wanted to shoot wildlife. I haven't been disappointed. The continuous firing mode and the sports mode is really fast. I could get 2-4 shots of an eagle as it took off.

I'm a real amateur and after a year with the camera, I'm still sometimes puzzled by the buttons and menus. I decided to shoot in the manual mode and for some reason the camera wouldn't allow a shutter speed of less than a second in either manual or shutter priority. I went through the menus and buttons, but it still was stuck at greater than a second. The suddenly it let me set any shutter speed I wanted. I still don't know what happened. So if any of you D70 users know the cause of this problem, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know. I think it must have been a setting I'd chosen but it might be an equipment failure. I was ready to take it to the shop.

BettinaMarie
03-09-2006, 05:34 AM
EOS350D is a wonderful camera for the money. I have been using mine for about 6 months and I am still finding new ways to use it! It is very versatile and I am sure it makes coffee, just need to find the right button for it.

Bettinamarie

jinju
03-09-2006, 05:40 AM
The 350D is a good camera...WHY OH WHY did they make it so SMALL?!

Clairedelune
03-09-2006, 01:34 PM
For my hands Rafal. Just for my hands! lols!

Claire who have really small hands!

PixelTerror
03-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Not only yours Claire, compacity is also an aspect of the 350D I enjoy, and yesterday shooting with Zepi and his D200 I was pleasantly feeling on the light side, if you check out the WS I left on his last picture you'll understand what I mean... LOL I think he actually started some serious bodybuilding to compete with Gouvernator ;-)

stefpat
03-09-2006, 05:45 PM
EOS350D

AdrianW
03-09-2006, 08:48 PM
I've recently been playing with a 350D, and I must say I like it :) It's small and light, and the image quality is excellent too. The increase in pixel count over the D70s/D50 is useful, but not critical.

The size/weight is very much a matter of personal taste (as you can see from this thread!), so if you can I'd strongly recommend you try all three.

To be honest I'd see whether there are areas where the rest of the system swings the result for you - are tilt/shift lenses available? Macro flashes? Extreme Macro lenses. etc. etc.

Dakota55
03-10-2006, 01:04 PM
The EOS350D is getting a great wrap but Ihave an Nicon D70 and have taken it traveling a couple of times and have found that it is easy to use, has great functions and is really fast. The lens that comes pacaged with the D70 and D70 is is great, fast quiet and robust (with reason of course!).
Good luck with the cammera shopping
Rob