PDA

View Full Version : Question: Cropping in Photoshop

Roly
07-03-2005, 06:32 AM
Probably the answer is really simple, but I havenít managed to get so far. If you want to get your digital images printed at the photo lab around the corner, they will print it in a standard size, letís say 4x6, 5x7 or 8x10 inch. Can I crop in Photoshop keeping a set length/with ratio? I mean, open the cropping frame with set proportions and enlarge it preserving these proportions, and move it over the image until the desired final print is achieved, before cropping. This program has so many functions that I presume something as trivial as this would be possible, too. So far though I had to vary independently the width and height of the cropping frame until I achieve the approximate desired ratio, a sort of stone age procedure leading to approximately same result.
Thanks a bunch in advance.

RandomCameraGuy
07-03-2005, 07:24 AM
Hi Roland,

just select the crop tool, then look up on the info bar up at the top of the screen. Right under "Image" you'll see boxes where you can enter the width and height of your crop.

cheers!

alex

Mike
07-03-2005, 11:36 AM
You can also use the rectangular marquee tool to give you a precise crop of any part of your image, it works like this:

Select the rectangular marquee tool, in the style box choose Fixed Aspect Ratio, then in the boxes marked Width and Height you enter the ratio desired for an exact crop, in other words, to get as an example, a six by four ratio, simply enter a six in the width and a four in the height boxes, Photoshop will do all the calculations for you, you could also divide down to get the 'true' ratio, i.e, for 6x4 the ratio would be 1.5x1, but it isn't necessary.

Now use the marquee tool to select the part of the image you want to keep, as you draw it out you'll see that the width to height remains constant, no matter how large or small you make it, you can also move the selection around using the move tool if it needs it after you've let go of the mouse button.

When you're satisfied with your selection, go to the top menu bar, and choose image/crop, then save under a new file name.