PDA

View Full Version : View Full Thread Pop Up

smiley
07-14-2003, 08:01 AM
Hey Guys,

I am new to the site and quickly trying to read up through the forums to learn more about how to navigate. One thing I notice is that to read through a thread, say this one for example, you have to click on every additional hyperlink below mine. Is there a way to create a pop up box that contains everyone's comments one right after another? In other words, instead of selecting individual comments, why can't we read through all the comments on a thread at once? If you want, (Adam is it?) drop me a line and I will give you a website example (I won't advertise other photocritique websites on here as I feel it's insulting to the webmasters.)

Thanks,

John Black (JB)

smiley
07-14-2003, 08:23 AM
Ok, I have another suggestion. In the forum threads where you get 2 or 3 individual replies down, it's not a big deal to hit "Back" 2 or 3 times to get back to the main page. When there are like 10 to 20 comments though, there should be some kind of shortcut to bring you back to whatever group of forum subjects you were looking at.

Here is what I am thinking... Whatever page numbers were on the forum subject page should also appear on the forum thread page so you could have a quick out back to the main index. Man, I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

JB

AdrianW
07-14-2003, 09:02 AM
John, if you're talking about the same thing, did you notice the links on the left of the page? Under the Forums heading there's Announcements, General etc.

I like the idea of a flat mode for threads, I'd been thinking about that myself - perhaps a little + icon next to each thread?

smiley
07-14-2003, 09:15 AM
Yep I see the list of forums on the left, however if you are on page 14 of the general forum index, then there are still quite a few steps necessary to go back to page 14. (hit general forum link, move the page numbers until 14 appears, select page 14).

What I am suggesting is that once you are inside a forum thread, there should be a link at the top or bottom of the page that brings you back to the original page that you were at within the general forum index. Something to avoid hitting back a bunch of times, and to avoid what I just described up top. Again, hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks,
JB

adam
07-14-2003, 09:16 AM
Yes, I completely agree, and I'm working on adding the following links while reading a forum message:

[Read Original Message]
[Back to Forum]

Thanks for the idea!

"I like the idea of a flat mode for threads"

Well, I had been thinking of that, but I like the notion of threads even though some people don't follow the logic and post at the end anyway. How about if there were a flat view mode but it would not be possible to reply, only view?

smiley
07-14-2003, 09:20 AM
Perfect! That is exactly what I was rambling about. lol
JB

AdrianW
07-14-2003, 09:21 AM
Why not just have a "reply to this post" link at the end of each message - that way people wouldn't have to click back to the index page?

adam
07-14-2003, 09:36 AM
"[Read Original Message]"

Wait a second, I just realized I don't need this at all since it's easy to click on the original message directly.

It's the [Back to Forum] link which is needed. Doh!

adam
07-14-2003, 09:38 AM
"Why not just have a "reply to this post" link at the end of each message"

I'm afraid that what would happen would be people viewing in flat mode would just click the last [reply] on the page, thus nullifying the purpose of having sub-threads within a thread.

adam
07-14-2003, 10:32 AM
"It's the [Back to Forum] link which is needed. Doh!"

After thinking about this for a while, I realize that it would never work. There are a couple of reasons why:

1. If someone replies to the message while you are reading that message, clicking [Back to Forum] link would cause you to go to the original page it was on, even though it is now being displayed on page one (replying causes it to be moved to the top).

2. New message postings would push it back a page etc.

If there were a way to do this I'd like to do so because it makes a lot of sense. Any ideas?

mdchachi
07-14-2003, 07:48 PM
I think an optional pop-up that displays the entire thread would help out a lot. It would prevent the problem of getting 20 clicks into a thread that the original poster was talking about. Plus it would be very useful when writing a reply to have the entire thread to refer to.

adam
07-14-2003, 07:58 PM
"I think an optional pop-up that displays the entire thread would help out a lot."

Yes, I'm going to do this tonight. So it should be a pop-up? OK, I see the reasoning now.

AdrianW
07-14-2003, 08:10 PM
I'm going to go against the idea of a pop-up. I think the thread view I a great idea still though :-D

smiley
07-14-2003, 08:29 PM
It would not pop up unless you want it to. So if you prefer the old way, you could still do it the old way. If you want to read the entire thread at once, you could use the pop up. Seems really win-win. ;)

Thanks again Adam,

JB

yuricle
07-14-2003, 10:13 PM
Why not to have two types of forums?
Providing people choose what kind of forums they prefer in preferences (My Account/Profiles) showing them the kind they like? :-)

I'd prefer a flat one without pages, all messages on one page, because it's much easier to follow the plot without clicking for every two lines of someone's reply. But I realise that it's not the way many people what forums to be.

adam
07-14-2003, 11:08 PM
"Why not to have two types of forums?"

This would entirely defeat the purpose of having a threaded forum due to the fact that flat-mode viewers will almost always reply to the last message in the thread. That is the sole reason why I don't have this in one's preferences.

I generally don't like flat-view mode because it ends up being a smorgasborg where members are replying back and forth with different sub-threads, making it a pain for a casual viewer of forums.

yuricle
07-14-2003, 11:27 PM
"flat-mode viewers will almost always reply to the last message in the thread"

It depends only on forum interface.
If forum designed wrong, users do reply to last message. If it thought-out well -- they don't.

adam
07-14-2003, 11:43 PM
"If forum designed wrong, users do reply to last message. If it thought-out well -- they don't."

Can you elaborate for me with an example. If it's truly possible to do this, I will implement it.

mdchachi
07-14-2003, 11:52 PM
I agree with yuricle, I think it's possible to do both.
Take a look at www.wopr.com and look at a thread in <a href="http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=win&Number=272513&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=all">flat mode</a> and <a href="http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=win&Number=272513&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&vc=1">threaded mode.</a>

I think the key with their interface is that if you want to add a reply in flat mode, you have to click the Reply icon attached to one of the messages. Most people would click the one on the message to which they are replying.

I'm not saying you should necessarily do this but just giving food for thought.

adam
07-15-2003, 12:13 AM
"I think the key with their interface is that if you want to add a reply in flat mode, you have to click the Reply icon attached to one of the messages. Most people would click the one on the message to which they are replying."

I don't agree that, 'most people would click the one on the message to which they are replying.' In fact I believe it is opposite, most people reply to the very last message. At least that's the experience I have encountered.

smiley
07-15-2003, 08:28 AM
I hear ya Adam, as soon as someone replies to this thread, it pops back to the top of the list...

I don't know if this would solve this or not but what about having those page numbers appear in the forum threads? I don't know if that would end up making sense as there is no way ALL the page numbers could appear on the page. Is there a way to have just that one page make it's way through to the forum thread?

I guess that is something I need to think about more. hmmmm....
JB

adam
07-15-2003, 09:44 AM
"what about having those page numbers appear in the forum threads"

Well, I thought about that as well, but it's the same problem, and it also is confusing because it might seem to be page numbers of that specific thread.