The solar eclipse by Serg (69)
roadends (748) 2008-07-14 22:35
When I saw the thumbnail for this I was really excited, as I'd watched a sunset total eclipse in the desert a few years ago.
This, however, is a terribly disappointing fake.
1) Look at the shadows on the mountains - they're not coming from anywhere near the direction of the sun.
2) During the moment of totality, the entire sky is dark but for a band of light across the horizon.
3) The mountains in this photo are in broad sunlight.
4) The black shade in the moon is ten times darker than any other shadow in this image. In reality the dark circle is no darker than any other shadow in the landscape.
5) The rays of sunlight look nothing remotely like these in a real eclipse. The longer the exposure the broader and softer the rays become. During a shorter exposure the land becomes extremely dark as the camera compensates for the light in the sky.
Serge I'm sure we'd rather see an untouched picture, even if it's of a lesser quality, than this. I don't mean to sound nasty but TE is about sharing the world as it is, not doing this stuff.
Burra, Barren by ein22 (478)
roadends (748) 2008-07-07 18:13
Wonderful. I remember stopping here in 2002, on my way out to the Strezlecki Track to watch the solar eclipse.
This was my favourite part of the drive from Brisbane to SA. It had a desolate beauty that you've captured really nicely. Great framing of the old house really emphasises the empty landscape.